Monday, November 21, 2011

toys and books

This weekend we did our bi-yearly toy dump and extreme clean. We do it every summer and always right before Christmas. We go through every single toy in our home and either put it aside to donate or organize it properly in its place. The kids have gotten used to letting go of the toys that they no longer play with and understand that someone else will love the toys more. We only had one teary-eyed fit this time. It feels so good to clean out the clutter and put things back in their appropriate bins. I have also been working on their clothes, dress up clothes, closets and drawers for about a week now. We are ready for Christmas and someone's second birthday and any new toys that those days may bring.

While organizing I realized how much I love our red Ikea bookshelf. It matches nothing but it is perfect for a child's playroom and it brightens everything up. I think it's my favorite piece of furniture in our home (which makes me laugh since it was so cheap). I love that it holds vintage toys and lots of books. You can't see them in this picture, but the red bookshelf also holds a few of my old Cabbage Patch Kids. So fun.



Speaking of books. While I was cleaning I realized we have so many lovely books that I purposefully built our library on and somehow we manage to only read the same few over and over again. So I am going to post pictures of the books we read every night as reminder of how lovely books really are and to help motivate us to get out the books in the back of the bookshelf and read them to our little ones.


i love books

xo,

Amanda

1 comment:

Leslie said...

I love books, too! For every birthday, I give our friends' kids books. I guess I'm influenced by a love of reading, which came from my librarian/school teacher Mom. Toys come and go, but books are forever.