Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Picky Eater?

Brody has never been a picky eater, but I've noticed that since he has become a preschooler he only wants pb&j or macaroni and cheese. This doesn't go over well with me so I have to battle him every day and hear his disappointment when I have to tell him he can't have them all the time. So I tried a new approach to getting him to eat other things and be happy about it. Monday night we had "Make Your Own Burrito Night." I know that he loves doing things himself so why not incorporate that into dinner. Before I knew it he was spooning ground turkey meat, beans, black olives, and cheese onto his tortilla and boy was he excited about it. I thought, well let's try this for lunch. As I suspected, when I picked him up from preschool today he asked for a pb&j and was disappointed when I said no. But when he heard we were having a "Build Your Own Sandwhich Party" for lunch his frown turned upside down. I had purchased the whole wheat hoagie buns and right before my eyes I watched him stack the turkey, cheese (he didn't know it was soy cheese), black olives, avocado, mayo and mustard on. He never eats mustard and I was pretty surprised about the avocado, but he really wanted to keep adding to it. I don't know if this technique will work with your picky eater but it's worth a try. I'm going to keep thinking of meals I can do this with and I will keep adding different veggies to the mix! Just wanted to share!

No comments: